AAH Contracting has been engaged to undertake the remediation process of former Corkman Pub site (160 Leicester Street, Carlton). AAH will be working closely alongside Melbourne City Council, WorkSafe Victoria & EPA prior to and throughout the remediation process.
AAH acknowledges the safety concerns and interest surrounding this project and therefore will be providing safety and general updates via this webpage until works are completed.
Works are currently planned to be undertaken in 2 stages.
Stage 1: Safe removal of a free-standing brick wall
This Saturday 13th July will involve the preliminary works performing the removal of the brick wall down to a safe working height. No asbestos removal works will occur on this day. The below is an excerpt from an independent hygienist assessment of the wall to confirm the absence of asbestos materials.
“As discussed, we have previously undertaken representative sampling of materials from the remaining wall and verified that no asbestos-containing materials are present. As such, your proposed works to demolish the wall to a safe level, using a knuckle boom positioned outside the Site boundary, can be undertaken without the use of asbestos PPE.”
Stage 2: Removal of waste from site (Date to be confirmed, tentative site set up to commence Wednesday the 17th July)
Key points to note for the removal process of asbestos-contaminated building debris;
- WorkSafe Victoria & EPA will be notified
- All applicable permits will be approved by Melbourne City Council prior to commencement
- These works will be carried out as per regulation for non-friable asbestos works with dust suppression measures
- The footpath will be temporarily fenced around immediate boundary throughout the duration of works with traffic management provided as necessary
- All waste will be transported via 200um plastic lined, EPA approved trucks to an EPA approved landfill with tracking dockets
- An independent hygienist will conduct air monitoring throughout the duration of the removal works
- An independent hygienist will be conducting a clearance on site upon completion prior to demobilisation
This space will be updated closer to mobilisation with further information.