In 2017, AAH was engaged to complete the removal of an asbestos contaminated boiler house at La Trobe University, Bundoora, La Trobe University’s foundation campus. Upon completion of the boiler house AAH was awarded further works on the campus, completing these works in December, 2018.
Scope of Works
AAH was tasked with the following:
- Remove existing boilers to facilitate, new heating system installation
- Friable insulation removal & boiler demolition
- Build 2x large scale 3 story encapsulations
- Remove friable asbestos insulation to boiler including all internal components
- Demolish km’s of internal pipework in stages under asbestos conditions
- Remove 100’s of m3 of refractory bricks
- Demolish boiler in its entirety
- Works completed in 2x stages
The challenges and critical factors too successfully complete the works were.
- Works were completed within a tight timeframe, with works continuing around the clock to expedite handover
- All internal components, including asbestos containing materials, had to be removed within full encapsulation and clearance issued prior to demolition